Next Western Mass
at the home of Magda and Mohamed
For this meeting, send your items for the Agenda to Fanny
Deadline for items to be typed into the Agenda:
must be received by May 13
(and new items can always be added at the start of the meeting)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Minutes of WMDC meeting of April 15, 2008
Present: Magda, Mohamed, Stephanie, Irwin, Martha
Mohamed and Magda reported that people are being moved into the Darfur villages from which Darfurians have fled, that many are from other countries (such as Burkina Faso, Mali), as an "occupation" of the villages. Is making the situation extremely tense and a big question, how will
Nothing is happening about the UN peacekeepers (UNAMID) deployment to
All quite bleak.
2. March 28th meeting with Rep. Olver. (Irwin supplied a written report. Send email to email@example.com if you want a copy.)
Rep. Olver said he will look into the $334 mil shortfall in the Congressional appropriation for UNAMID. (He is a member of the House Appropriations Committee.)
A House letter (
Amherst Regional H.S. STAND and UMass STAND outlined their projects, such as raising funds for solar cookers for
Mohamed suggested that the
WMDC brought up the effectiveness of a boycott of
3. Stephanie reported on the Staples activities by UMass STAND. (Stephanie provided a written report. Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you want a copy.) Noted that all of us should write letters to the corporate headquarters, urging Staples to withdraw as a sponsor of the Olympics. Address to
Ronald L. Sargent, Chairman and CEO, Staples Inc.,
RALLY on Monday, April 27, , on Boston Common, at the gazebo. Will have four speakers on: Stick to your promises
Also reported on recent Washington DC Rally by STAND, near the White House, with civil disobedience, such as "die-in" -- got coverage on CNN.
4. Meeting in Norwell MA (eastern MA, near
6. Forming a relationship with the
7. Sisterhood for Peace: mainly based in
8. Genocide Intervention Network. We think that WMDC may wish to make more use of the GIN information and resources, and perhaps work with GIN on some actions, www.genocideintervention.net
9. Center for International Education (CIE) forum. Mohamed heads up this panel. Not known yet which day WMDC will be scheduled, but WMDC will prefer Sat., June 14. At our next meeting, on May 20, we will have a detailed report on the plan and discuss any arrangements that are needed. The Darfur Children's Drawings are a necessary element of the forum and some help will be needed to get it ready.
Do you know that WMDC has a website (or blog) ? Go to
If anyone who attended has additions or corrections to the Minutes, please let me know.
-- from Martha Spiegelman,